Maandag, Januari 11, 2010 / Last Modified: Dinsdag, Januari 3, 2012
Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs, January 11, 2010.
Despite Israel’s efforts to encourage the Palestinian Authority leadership to
return to the peace talks, the PA continues to boycott negotiations and to incite
against Israel and praise terrorists.
Despite Israel’s numerous efforts to encourage the Palestinian Authority (PA)
leadership to return to the peace talks, the PA continues to boycott
negotiations and to incite against Israel and praise terrorists.
Among the incidents that indicate an upsurge in incitement in the past month,
are the official sponsorship of the naming of a Ramallah square after a terrorist
who slaughtered 37 Israelis and the glorification of the murderers of the late
Rabbi Meir Avshalom Chai, killed on 24 December 2009 in a drive-by shooting.
This incitement is occurring despite the fact that the current Israeli government,
like previous governments, has made great efforts to advance peace. Time after
time, it has declared its commitment to peace and its willingness to make the
necessary compromises to reach that goal. It has also undertaken numerous
acts, such as a moratorium on settlement housing construction, that tangibly
demonstrate its commitment to negotiations while improving the lives of
Palestinians living under the control of the Palestinian Authority. Additionally,
like all Israeli governments, it invests a great deal of effort into educating for
The requirement for the Palestinians to end incitement has constituted one of
the core foundations of the peace process since its inception. The need to end
incitement stems from the recognition that true peace cannot be achieved as
long as the propagation of hate continues. As Prime Minister Netanyahu noted:
“Peace is made by educating towards reconciliation, by encouraging good
neighborly relations and by developing mutual respect.”
Incitement not only pushes peace farther away, it also jeopardizes Israel’s
security. Words can be dangerous. Hero-worship of terrorists and their
despicable acts – which has transpired not only in the past but in recent days -
inspires further violence.
Anti-Israeli incitement, including by the highest-ranking Palestinian officials, also
persists in official Palestinian media outlets and in the educational system. The
last week of 2009 provides a regrettable sample of Palestinian official
incitement. In one short week, incitement increased, terror attacks were carried
out both inside and outside the pre-’67 lines, and condemnation of the terrorist
attacks by the PA was conspicuously absent.
Following is a short summary of the most egregious events of the last week of
* Veneration of a mass-murdering Palestinian terrorist: On 29 December, PA
President Mahmoud Abbas funded and sponsored a ceremony celebrating the
memory of Dalal
al-Maghrabi. She was
the terrorist responsible for the Coastal Road massacre in 1978 in which 37
Israelis were murdered within the pre-67 “Green Line”. During the ceremony -
one of many held in her honor – dignitaries sang her praises and children
marched in honor of this murderer’s 50th birthday. For quite some time, the PA
has strived to turn this female terrorist into a role model for young Palestinian
children. Indeed, two high schools for girls, a computer center, children’s
summer camps and a square in the Ramallah area have all been named for her.
* Expressions of support for the murderers of Rabbi Chai: On 24 December,
Rabbi Meir Avshalom Chai was shot to death while driving in his car. Even
though members of the PLO’s own Fatah faction took responsibility for the
shooting attack, PA officials saw no reason to denounce the attack or even to
express their condolences to his wife and seven children. Incredibly, PA
President Abbas sent a representative to pay his condolences to the families of
the terrorists (who were subsequently killed while resisting arrest) and to
declare them shahids (holy martyrs). Abbas even had letters sent to their
families on his behalf to console them and praise the murder these terrorists
In a further outrageous act, the Prime Minister of the Palestinian Authority,
Salam Fayyad personally visited the families of the
accompanied by a delegation of dignitaries which included PA government
ministers and the Chief of the Palestinian Police, all the while condemning
Israel’s attempt to apprehend the terrorists.
* Fatah calls for armed “resistance” over peace negotiations: Fatah, which is
headed by President Abbas, issued a statement on its official
website 359> following the Rabbi Chai murder which called for the continuance of the
“armed struggle” by Fatah and all the other factions. It declared “resistance,”
and not negotiations, “as the primary option for liberating Palestinian lands from
the filth of the children of Zion [Jews].” This announcement, and others like it,
receive the support of the leaders of the movement, including members of the
Palestinian Authority leadership.
The continuation of incitement by the PA leadership constitutes a serious
violation of the Palestinians’ international obligations and calls into question
their commitment to peace. It is manifestly clear to all parties interested in
promoting peace in the region that the cessation of incitement is an essential
condition for achieving a genuine peace between Israelis and Palestinians. Israel
calls upon the Palestinian leadership to stop the incitement and to return to the
Note of Likud of Holland: See our website for many more examples of the Palestinian Authority
not condemning but supporting terror in the Palestinian media and schoolbooks:
- Palestinian minister defends glorification of terrorists.
- Abbas glorifies recent murderers.
- Abbas rewards terrorists for long jail terms.
- Fatah leaders applaud terrorists who killed 37.
- Palestinian Ambassador: Two-State solution will lead to the collapse of Israel.
- Palestinian TV celebrates murder spree.
- Hamas TV promotes culture of death for Palestinian children.
- Abbas lauds suicide bombers.
- Palestinian Authority celebrates released murderers.
- PA Ambassador: “First Jerusalem, then we’ll take all Palestine”.
- Child kills President Bush on Hamas TV.
- Abbas proud to have taught terror to world.
- Palestinian Authority announces three days of mourning for top terrorist.
- Palestinian TV: singing to Israel’s destruction.
- Palestinians: Allah, Kill Americans.
- Soccer tournament named for “bat mitzvah attack” terrorist.
- The Palestinians humanitarian needs.
- Four-year-old girl vows to be suicide terrorist on Hamas TV.
- Hamas: we will not stop terror.
- New Palestinian schoolbooks give children an indoctrination, Hillary Clinton says.
- Abbas calls for the murder of Jews.
- Palestinian women terrorists glorified as heroines and role models.
- Abbas: Hizballah terrorists a source of pride & honor.
- Palestinian television again airs clip encouraging children to become martyrs.
- Abbas: terrorists are our heroes.
- Palestinian Authority names Gazah crossing after terrorist.
- Palestinian president sponsors terrorist support meeting.
- Palestinian Authority: Destruction of Israel is desired goal.
- Palestinian Ministry of Culture glorifies murderer.
- Palestinian Authority continues support of terror.
- Palestinian Authority lauds Tel Aviv bomber.
- Palestinian Authority praises bombing to Arabs, “condemns” it to Western media.
- Arafat’s radio blesses woman bomber.
- Palestinian Minister of Justice incites to murder Israelis and to hate Americans.
- Testimony of Palestinian incitement to American Senate.
- Rejoicing over Jewish blood.
- Palestinian official TV promises maidens to ‘martyrs’.
- Palestinian TV: destroy the Jews and the United States.
In reality, the Palestinian Authority is funding and encouraging terror, see:
- Abbas grants awards to two female terrorists.
- Abbas’ own Fatah security plotting to assassinate PM Olmert.
- Palestinian Authority paying Schalit captors’ families.
- Institutionalizing terror.
- Fatah, Hamas preparing for war with Israel.
- Abbas pays salaries of 5,000 Hamas terrorists.
- Palestinian security chief: ‘Jews are our enemy. I will pull the trigger whenever required.’
- Murderers awarded honorary Palestiniancitizenship.
- Abbas approves monthly grant to families of suicide bombers.
- Palestinians let militants back into Gaza.
- Palestinian radio confirms Abbas own Fatah murdered three Israelis.
- Terrorists to join Palestinian security forces.
- 600 Palestinian police agents killed since 2000.
- Documents show Arafat paid for disco bombing.
- Fatah committed to Aksa Martyrs.
- BBC: Palestinian Authority funds go to militants.
- Arafat’s very own terror brigades.
- Arafat is said to fund truce foes.